April 12th, 2017
What a difference a year makes! One year ago, the reaction of electronics editors to the display of GaN devices at APEC 2016 was positive but guarded. At APEC 2017, demonstrations of GaN transistors enabling customers’ electronics systems abounded, covering wireless charging, energy storage, motor drive, power supply, class D amplifiers and high power systems using modules. The excitement expressed by engineers who swarmed GaN Systems’ booth was palpable.
“Sometimes we can’t see the forest for the trees; we focus so much on the GaN power element itself and its specifications that we forget all the applications that are enabled because of this amazing technology.”
March 30, 2017
Editor-in-chief, Planet Analog
Senior technical editor, EDN Analog and Power
A centerpiece of the applications we demonstrated at APEC was a drone built by a team from the Imperial College London that was kept aloft using continuous wireless power transfer (WPT). Their tour de force, 13.56 MHz WPT design used compact passive components enabled by tiny GaN transistors in a new inverter topology. Watch the drone in flight and read details about its design.
From evaluation platforms to reference designs to modules…from low power to high power…here is a snapshot of customers’ devices that that drew so much interest in Tampa:
• A half-bridge Class-D amplifier from Peregrine Semiconductor
• A 70 W, AirFuel-compliant, wireless power transfer unit from Gill Electronics
• A high-frequency power supply evaluation board with an LTC3895 synchronous step-down DC/DC from Linear Technology
• controller from Linear Technology
• A 32 kW motor drive circuit designed by Skycorp
• A three-phase GaN-based inverter for motor drives from Analog Devices
• A 1 MHz LED driver from CEA/LETI
• A 650V, 30A GaN HEMT half-bridge from Sharp
Visit GaN Systems May 16-18 at PCIM in Booth #9-511.
If you missed APEC this year, you will still have an opportunity to see some of these systems and others at the upcoming PCIM Europe in Nuremberg, from May 16-18 in booth # 9-511. I hope to see you there!
Thanks for visiting!
Vice President Sales & Marketing, GaN Systems Inc.
Some of GaN Systems' APEC 2017 Press Coverage
Industry News - April 2017
Share this Newsletter